An appetizer that we enjoy making at home in a wide variety of flavors, is stuffed mushrooms. Traditional recipes usually call for bread crumbs or some sort, and being gluten free, we no longer use the crumbs, but have no problem finding delicious fillings. This variety was intended to be sort of a pizza-inspired treat. You can use any mixture of ingredients that sounds good to you including cheeses, meats, seafood, veggies, seasonings. This is just one option out of endless possibilities! I honestly did not measure any of the ingredients, just threw them together., so just use your own judgment for amounts, and of course, feel free to change anything that suits you!
*** Another variation would be to use shrimp and seafood as a stuffing with celery, onion, garlic, and make an easy cheese cream sauce instead of using a tomato-based sauce. To think outside the box, consider a cheeseburger filling, a Mexican inspired filling or certainly vegetarian would be great too!
- 10-12 large mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed
(keep stems for another use or dice some for stuffing)
- Healthy oil
- diced celery
- chopped garlic
- diced ham
- chopped greens (such as spinach or mustard greens)
- chopped walnuts
- fresh chopped basil
- Italian cheese blend
- low carb spaghetti sauce (I used Organicville)
- salt, pepper and seasonings to taste
- Heat oven to 400. Clean large button-style mushrooms and remove the stems. Save the stems for another use, or finely dice and include in the stuffing (which I did.)
- Place mushrooms rounded side up in a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes just to get a jump on the cooking process.
- While caps are cooking, saute filling ingredients except cheese and sauce, and cook to desired done-ness.
- Mix filling with enough sauce to coat well, but not runny, mix in chopped basil (or any other herbs and spices as well.)
- Remove mushroom caps from oven and turn over (drain mushroom liquid from the pan if needed.) Place a tsp or so of cheese in each cap, then top with about 1Tb of filling and a little more cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and mushrooms are cooked through.