These are moist, tender and full of flavor…
and best of all, no grain or gluten in sight!!!
Fall has officially begun, and the yearning for pumpkin flavored warm yummy goodness isn’t going to be derailed by our grain-free lifestyle! These pumpkin muffins are a cinch to make, and are a treat with a nice hot cup of coffee after spending the afternoon in the autumn sun, or on cool fall evenings. The maple extract is completely optional, but it added a nice depth of flavor to complement the pumpkin. The topping is also optional, but the slight crunch from the pecans was delicious.
After searching the net for grain-free pumpkin muffin recipes, I decided to take a bit from several and just give my own version a try. As luck would have it, these turned our great the first time around (AND the second!) My son can’t believe how delicious these taste, and at 4-5g net carbs per muffin, they are low-carb and Wheat Belly compliant!
Pumpkin Maple Spice Muffins
- 2C almond flour
- 2Tb coconut flour
- 2/3C canned pumpkin (unsweetened)
- 3 eggs
- 1/4C cashew butter (or almond butter)
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1/2tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon (or 1Tb pumpkin pie spice;
omit cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg)
- 3/4tsp ginger powder
- 1/4tsp nutmeg
- 1/2tsp maple extract (optional)
- 4Tb Swerve (or sweetener of your choice)
- 20 drops liquid Stevia
- 3Tb coconut oil (melted) or butter
- 1Tb vanilla extract
- 4-6Tb heavy cream
Pecan Topping (optional):
- 1/3C chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- 1-2 Tb butter, melted
- 1Tb Swerve sweetener
- pinch of salt
Cream Cheese Frosting (optional):
- 4oz softened cream cheese
- 1Tb Swerve
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3C heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 6 drops liquid Stevia
- Heat oven to 350°. Line muffin pan with paper liners.
- Mix together all ingredients and fill muffin liners.
- If desired, top with nut topping (mix all ingredients together.)
- Bake 15 minutes, rotate pan, and bake another 10 minutes for a total of 25 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool. If desired, top with butter, cream cheese frosting (fold together all ingredients) or lightly sweetened whipped cream.