My previous post was about how to make Cauliflower Cream for a soup base. Even if you aren’t a low-carber, getting more veggies into your lifestyle is likely a positive move, so I hope you give this a try!
The recipe below is just ONE of probably hundreds of possible combinations of ingredients for using the Cauliflower Cream soup base. I used the shredded veggies because they were on sale and free of preservatives, and saving time whenever possible has its own value! Feel free to modify, swap out, invent or otherwise make this recipe work for you! Clam or seafood chowder will be coming soon in my kitchen 🙂
Creamy Veggie Soup with Bacon and Ham
- 1 recipe of Cauliflower Cream soup base (4-6C depending on size of cauliflower)
- 1C diced bacon
- one onion, diced
- 1- 12oz bag mixed shredded veggies (broccoli hearts, cabbage and carrot)
- 32oz container of chicken broth, or make your own stock to use
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 oz shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- crispy ham to garnish (optional)
- Prepare one recipe of Cauliflower Cream soup base and set aside.
- In a stock pot or dutch oven, Saute bacon until nearly crisp and fat is rendered.
- Add onions to bacon, cook and stir 3-5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add shredded vegetable mix and cook, stirring occasionally for 5-8 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add broth to pot and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are cooked.
- Carefully add Cauliflower Cream to pot and gently mix together, bringing the soup back up to temp.
- If using cheese, add it a little at a time, stirring after each addition to melt the cheese.
- Serve in bowls, topped with crispy ham if desired.